How I Can Help
Someone once came up to me and said “Don’t kid me, I am only one person, and also a poor person, so what can I do to change the world?” I said “Don’t underestimated yourself. God has given us incredible gifts. It is up to us to use those gifts. The following examples (not in any order) prove that one person can shape and change the world: Jesus Christ, Prophet Mohammad, Buddha, Gandhi, Napoleon, Genghiz Khan, Alexander The Great, Julius Caesar, etc (the list is endless). So, are you going to sit there, just moan & do nothing?” Of course there are many ways you can help, either directly or indirectly, in cash or in kind, or by small changes in your lifestyle. Help us change the world for the better via the following ways:
- If you choose to contribute to our activities (for example support our schools programme whereby we educate school children on the importance of water & water conservation). When we organise the activity, your company’s name will be splashed all over the newspapers as our sponsor. We will have banners (with your company’s logo & name) all over Penang advertising the activity. The mileage your company’s gain is tremendous. You can either choose to sponsor a fixed amount annually (for example RM1,000.00 or more), or sponsor event by event. We will give you a budget estimate if you decide to sponsor by event. You can contact us for further information or visit our at C/O School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia , 11800 Pulau Pinang Malaysia.
- Sign up now to be our member. Entrance fee is only RM10 & Annual fee RM12 (RM1 a month). This small amount will help us build up our membership base and make our voice stronger when we negotiate with the government or private water companies (in terms of water tariffs, new water schemes, water quality, water pollution, etc). As a member, you will receive our bi-monthly newsletter informing you of upcoming activities and current events related to water, be entitled to discounts on nature trips organised by us (e.g. Taman Negara trip, Visit Waterfall Treatment Plant & view majestic waterfall, hiking up Penang Hill, camping at the Penang National Park at Pantai Kerachut, etc)
- Be a Volunteer in our many activities. Whenever upcoming event, we immediately send an email to you.
- Donations of any amount will be graciously accepted. Send us a cheque (written out to Water Watch Penang) to our address at C/O School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia , 11800 Pulau Pinang Malaysia.
- Be a “Water-Friendly” person by reducing water use. You cannot reduce the minimum amount of water you drink (at least 8 cups a day) but you can reduce the amount you use for washing, flushing toilets, showering, etc. Start by reducing 1 flush per day. This is easy: when you come home after school or work, you may need to urinate a few times before you retire for the night. Most people flush the toilet (every flush uses 9 litres of water for the conventional WC) whenever they urinate. This is not necessary at all. Flush only when it becomes smelly. Urine only becomes smelly after a few hours & when it is concentrated. You can flush once after two visits to the toilet to urinate. This saves water. Put some pandan leaves in the toilet to reduce the smell. But if you defecate, you have to flush. A note of caution – always put hygiene & health first, you must not save water to the extreme. For more water saving tips, please visit our Water Info.