TENTATIVE DURATION: APRIL 2023, MAY 2023-OCTOBER 2023, NOVEMBER 2023
With the advent of technology, social media plays a significant role in raising public awareness. Social media platforms such as Facebook, Tik Tok, Twitter, and Instagram can be employed to improve public perception and create a positive impact on various environmental issues. In this project, we propose to cultivate water conservation awareness among young Penangites via a social media campaign through continuous content development, competition, and public engagement.
In line with SDG 4 and SDG 6, the aims of this project are to (i) cultivate water conservation awareness among young Penangites through continuous content development and engagement in social media, and (ii) engage young Penangites through creative media competition.
The water conservation awareness campaign in social media will be divided into two parts, namely (i) organizing continuous creative competition, and (ii) content creation with social media engagement. The campaign will be conducted over a period of 6 months.
In (i), continuous creative media competition (once every month) with the following guidelines are proposed:
- Participants will be tasked to post original artwork/video/photo related to water conservation awareness, including bad/good practices of water conservation, and water conservation techniques. Any topic related to water conservation is welcomed.
- Participants are required to hashtag Water Watch Penang and drop us an email with the link to the post.
- Two winners will be selected every month.
- The selection criteria are based on originality, creativity, and outreach.
- The successful artwork/video/photo will be used as a promotional item to promote water conservation awareness.
In (ii), content creation with social media engagement will be conducted as follow:
- New creative content such as articles and artwork will be developed monthly and posted on social media.
- WWP ambassadors will be identified to assist in creating creative content and engaging the public to increase public awareness.
(a) Immediate outcomes
Since most Penangites (particularly the younger generation) are on social media, it is expected that the competition and creative content developed in this project can improve public water conservation awareness. Continuous promotion of the project over a span of six-month can ensure that water conservation awareness can reach a majority of Penangites. At least 30 submissions in total for the monthly competition are expected to be received. Meanwhile. each creative content is expected to reach at least 100 audiences on social media. It is hoped that through the WWP ambassador appointment, continuous creative content development, and promotion through advertisement, at least 10,000 audiences can be reached over the period of six months.
(b) Long-term outcomes
Through continuous education and awareness, it is expected that the public will be more educated and able to practice water conservation techniques, decreasing the unproductive water consumption rate. This will be beneficial to the Penang state as unproductive water consumption has become a major issue in recent years. The proposed project will also improve the social media presence of WWP and PBAPP.
RELATED SDG AND PENANG 2030 VISION
- Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Universiti Sains Malaysia