PBA-WWP 2007/2008 PARTNERSHIP ACTIVITIES
PBA-WWP ANNUAL REPORT 2007
(1) Report on World Water Day 2007, 21st April 2007 at Penang Botanic Gardens
On 21st April 2007, Water Watch Penang organised World Water Day 2007 with the United Nations theme for 2007 "Coping with Water Scarcity". The Honourable Chief Minister of Penang, YAB Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon officiated and declared open the event. The other VIPs were: YB Dato' Koay Kar Hwa and YB Teng Chang Yeow, Dato' Dr Anwar Fazal (WWP Advisor), YB Quah (Adun for Bukit Bendera), SUK, PBAPP Sdn Bhd Acting General Manager Ir Jaseni Maidinsa, and others (Figure 1). A water colour painting competition (There are 5 categories from Kindergarten to Form 5 & all students in Penang aged below 17 were eligible to take part). Lots of attractive prizes (bicycles, camping equipment, water bottles, mugs, etc were given out to the winners). A total of 500 students took part and another 500 people participated, making it at least 1000 people. There were also lots of water games, water exhibition, water guessing games, parent-child water competition, best booth competition, DJ music, etc throughout the day to keep the visitors and participants entertained. More importantly, these games and activities were all education and have helped to increased awareness amongst the people regarding the importance of water and the need to use it wisely. A lot of souvenirs such as water bottles, t-shirts, calendar pens, caps, mugs and exercise books (all with the water conservation message) were given out to the public. In addition, the PBA Waterfall Water Treatment Plant (inside Penang Botanic Gardens) was also opened to the public for viewing. The plant was a great attraction as it is a restricted area and is only opened once a year for the public. Many took the opportunity to visit the plant as well as to view the majestic waterfall at the top of the hill inside the plant. All the local newspapers will be there to cover the event. A total of 16 exhibitors also took part: PBAPP Sdn Bhd, Water Watch Penang (WWP), Indah Water Konsortium (IWK), Malaysian Nature Society (MNS) Penang Branch, WWF Malaysia, Friends of Botanic Gardens (FOBG), Penang Botanic Gardens, Jabatan Bekalan Air (JBA) Pulau Pinang, Jabatan Alam Sekitar (JAS), Social-Economic and Environmental Research Institute (SERI), Penang Environment Working Group (PEWOG), United Nations University (UNU) & Global Environment Information Centre (GEIC) and Jabatan Perhutanan Negeri Pulau Pinang.
|Official Launch World Water Day 2007|
|1||YAB Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon||CM|
|2||YB Dato' Koay Kar Huah||Penang State EXCO|
|3||YB Encik Teng Chang Yeow||Penang State EXCO|
|4||Ir Jaseni Maidinsa||GM, PBA|
|5||YBhg. Dato' (Dr) Anwar Fazal||WWP Advisor|
|6||Abdul Latif b. Salleh||Ketua Unit, NAPIC|
|7||Cik Norizan binti Sulaiman||Architect Lanskap on behalf Pn. Maimunah Sharif (MPPP)|
|8||Lim Eng Seng||Jabatan Penilaian & Perkhidmatan Harta|
|9||Mr. R. Padmanathan||SERI Associate|
WWP staff & members who took part were:
- Dato’ Dr Anwar Fazal (WWP Advisor)
- Prof Dr Chan Ngai Weng (President)
- Mr Khor Hung Teik (Vice-President)
- Ms Dorothy Teng (Treasurer)
- Mr Yeoh Guan Aun (Committee Member)
- Dr Hajar Abdul Rahim
- Mr Lee Shok Mee (Acted as MC for the day)
- Mdm Fun Chan (Chief Organisor of the event)
- Ms Jennifer Kim (Also acted as one of the three judges for painting competition)
- Mr Lee Aik Chuan
- Mr Tan Chong Wei
- Ms Ng See Theng
- Ms Yen Ying
- Ms Shwyu Chyi
- Ms Kae Shin
- Mr Tan Han Khim & 3 friends
For the schools, a total of 191 students took part in the art competition centering on water as the theme (see Appendix B). Bearing in mind that the students, especially of the lower age groups, are accompanied by parents, teachers and their siblings, the estimated number of parents, teachers and siblings are around 200+ people. Joggers and other people (including tourists) inside the botanic gardens also joined in the activities. There were a total of 14 booths taken up by PBAPP Sdn Bhd, WWP, IWK, JBA, DOE, Jabatan Perhutanan, SERI, Penang Environmental Working Group (PEWOG), United Nations Global Environment Information Centre (UNU GEIC), and NGOs such as MNS, WWF Malaysia, Friends of Penang Botanic Gardens, and WWP
Water Watch Penang (WWP) organized an awareness and education programme for members of the public (requested by Mr Ng Wee Kok of YAB Chief Minister’s Office) on water conservation in the Penang Botanic Gardens. This was a full day affair from 9.00am to 5.00pm with briefing, river-catchment walks, river clean-up, water contests, and other activities. The highlight of the programme was a visit of the group to the PBA’s Waterfall Treatment Plant at 10.30 am. Several WWP members briefed and accompanied the group. A few reporters were also invited to cover the event.
(2) 22 July 2007: “Penang Hill Water Cathment Area - Importance of Catchment Protection as a future source of water supply” for USM undergraduates. This is a awareness and education programme for USM students from the Geography Section and the School of Environmental Technology. The students have to write a report after they finished the activity. A group of about 200 undergraduates of Universiti Sains Malaysia were taken into the Penang Hill Catchment area. Bus was provided by USM. WWP provided the facilitators. The students were briefed by WWP facilitators on the history and process of how the forest acts as a water catchment. The group hiked up the trail to 84 station. Along the route, the group encountered many clean streams and some tests of water quality were performed. The discharge and cross-sections of the small streams were also measured as part of the exercise. Students were taught that inside the forest, the water quality of streams was very good. After the hiking, the group was taken to visit the PBA’s Waterfall Treatment Plant where a PBA staff explained about the water treatment process.
(3) Malaysian Environmental Week (MASM) 2007 Penang State Level – Water watch Penang organized a programme “Visit Penang Botanic Garden & Waterfall Treatment Plant”, 11 August 2007 A total of four primary schools took part in this programme: (i) SRJK (T) Rajaji Ayer Itam; (ii) Sek Keb Convent Green Lane; and (iii) SRJK (T) Azad Jln Bagan Jermal; and (iv) SRJK ( C ) Union. The programme is as follows:
7.30 am:Arrival of 100 primary school students & 8 teachers (Registration)
8.00 am:Briefing by Prof Dr Chan Ngai Weng
8.30 – 9.30 am:Water Monitoring Activity of Sg Air Terjun (Physical & Chemical)
9.30 – 10.30 am:Water Monitoring Activity of Sg Air Terjun (Biological)
10.30 – 11.00 am:Break & Snack/Drinks
11.00 – 11.30 am:Briefing by WWP Staff on River Clean-up
11.30 – 11.45 am:River Clean-up Competition
11.45 – 1.00 pm:Visit Waterfall Treatment Plant & Briefing by PBA Staff
(4) N-Park Condominium Tung Lung Festival “Tunglung Painting Competition”, 22 Sept 2007 A total of 150 children took part in this event whereby they had to paint a water theme and then make their painting into a tunglung or lantern. YB Goh Kheng Sneah, ADUN for Batu Uban officiated in this event. About 300 residents also attended. Prof Dr Chan Ngai Weng gave a speech on the importance of water conservation.
(5) Awareness & Education For Schools Programme for 40 students (Form 2) of SMK St Xavier and 2 teachers to learn about the importance of water and rivers, and the water treatment process by visiting PBA’s Loji Air Waterfall on 27 October 2007, 7.00am-1.00pm The Objectives of this programme are: (i) To increase awareness and education of the importance of river and water amongst youths in Penang State at schools followed by hands-on experience of river water monitoring and visiting water and wastewater treatment plants; and (ii) To inculcate a sense of responsibility amongst school children in terms of the value of water, water use and the commitment to do something to protect water catchments, rivers and water resources, and to change people’s lifestyle from water wasting to water saving.
In another activity with Convent Green Lane, Mrs Chin & Cikgu Lee Lee with 30 students were given a thorough tour of PBA's Waterfall Treatment Plant in jan 2008.