Article I - Definition
1. The Society shall be known as the Persatuan Pengawatan Air Pulau Pinang. Hereinafter is referred to as Water Watch Penang (WWP)
2. It place of meeting shall be 10A Persiaran Bukit Jambul, International College Grounds, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang or at such other place or places as may from time to time be decided on by the committee, and its registered office for correspondence shall be 10A Persiaran Bukit Jambul, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang
The above address of the WWP shall not be changed without the prior approval of the Registrar of Societies.
Article II - Aims and Objects
1. The aims of WWP shall be to promote study, awareness, knowledge, conservation, protection and the practice of a water saving society towards the sustainable development of water resources in accordance with the aspirations of Agenda 21 of the United Nations and Malaysia’s Environmental Commitment.
In Pursuance of these aims WWP shall:-
(a) publish and distribute articles, pamphlets, journals, periodicals and books:
(b) organise and conduct field trips, educational camps seminars, forums, conferences, lectures and talks;
(c) organise and conduct research works;
(d) liase with other societies dedicated to similar aims and objects;
(e) undertake such other activities as may be determined by the Executive Committee of WWP from time to time consistent with the above stated aim.
Article III - Membership
1. Any Malaysian Citizen who is twenty-one (21) years of age and above residing in Penang at time of application shall be eligible to become member.
2. Every application for membership shall be proposed and seconded by two existing members and shall be forwarded to the Secretary who shall submit it to the Executive Committee for consideration. Two-thirds (2/3) of the members attending the Committee Meeting shall approve an application in order for the applicant to be accepted as a member. The Executive Committee may at its discretion reject any application without assigning any reason therefore.
3. Every applicant whose application has been approved as aforesaid shall upon payment of the prescribed entrance fee be admitted as a member of WWP and shall be entitled to all the privileges of membership.
4. Members shall subject to the provisions of this constitution:-
(a) have the right to stand for elections of WWP to nominate or second a candidate and to vote in the election of WWP;
(b) have the right to speak and vote at General Meetings of WWP;
(c) be eligible for membership of special and standing committee of WWP;
(d) have the right to inspect all records of WWP provided two weeks’ written notice of such intention has been given to the Hon. Secretary of WWP.
5. Members shall abide by the provisions of this constitution and shall not act in any way inconsistent with the aims and objects of WWP or the Constitution of Malaysia and the Rukunegara.
6. No University or University college student shall be accepted to be a member of the WWP provided with the prior written approval of the Vice Chancellor of the University concerned.
Article V - Resignation
1. A person shall cease to be member of WWP to the Secretary on the receipt of his written resignation, he/she shall give two weeks notice and shall pay up all his dues.
Article VI - Entrance Fees and Subscription
1. Every member shall pay an Entrance Fee of Ten (10) Ringgits and subscription of one (1) Ringgit per month or Twelve (12) Ringgit a year. Voluntary contributions are welcomed.
2. (a) It shall be the responsibility of members to pay their subscription regularly. Any member who has not paid up his subscription for 6 months will be considered to be or at any other meetings nor participate in or benefit in anyway from WWP’s activities.
(b) The Executive Committee shall be empowered to strike off from WWP’s register, or take any other suitable action as it deems fit against, any member who has not paid up his/her subscription for more than 9 months.
Article VII - General Meeting
1. The supreme authority of WWP is vested in a General Meeting of the members. At least one-half of the total membership of WWP eligible vote or twice the total number of the Executive Committee Members whichever is the less must be present at a General Meeting for its proceedings to be valid and to constitute a quorum.
2. If one hour after the appointed time for the meeting a quorum is not present, the meeting shall be postponed to a date (not Exceeding 30 days) to be decided by the Executive Committee, and if a quorum is not present half and hour after the time appointed for the postponed meeting, the members present shall have the power to proceed with the business of the day but they shall not have the power to after the Rules of the WWP or to make decisions affecting the whole membership.
3. An Annual General Meeting of WWP shall be held as soon as possible after the close of each financial year but not later than 31st March on a date and at a time and place to be decided by the Executive Committee. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall be:
(a) To receive the President’s report on the working of WWP during the previous year.
(b) To receive the Treasurer’s report on the finance of WWP and the audited accounts of WWP for the previous year.
(c) To elect an Executive Committee and to appoint two (2) auditors for the ensuring year.
(d) To deal with such other matters as may be put before it.
4. A notice of the Annual General Meeting stating the date, the time and the place, and calling for motions for discussion and adoption of motions for amendment of the Constitution shall be sent by the Secretary to all members not latter than 30 days before the date fixed for the meeting, and this notice shall also be prominently displayed at registered office or place of meeting of WWP.
5. Motions for discussion and motions for amendment of the Constitution at the meeting must be sent to reach the Secretary not later than 14 days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
6. The Secretary shall send to all members at least 14 days before the Annual General Meeting an agenda including copies of minutes and reports, motions related to discussion and amendment of the Constitution, together with the audited accounts of WWP for the previous year. Copies of these documents will also be made available at the registered office or place of meeting of WWP for the perusal of members.
7. An Extraordinary General Meeting of WWP shall be convened
(a) whenever the Executive Committee deems it desirable;
(b) At the joint request in writing of not less than one-fifth (1/5) of the total number of members eligible to vote stating the objects and reasons for such meetings.
8. An Extraordinary General Meeting requisitioned by member shall be convened for a date within 28 days of the receipt of such requisition
9. Notice and agenda for an Extraordinary General Meeting shall be forwarded by the Secretary to all members at least 14 days before the date fixed for the meeting.
10. Paragraphs VII and VII of this Rule regarding the quorum and the postponement of an Annual General Meeting shall apply also to an Extraordinary General Meeting by with the proviso that if no quorum is present after half an hour from the time appointed for a postponed Extraordinary General Meeting requisitioned for the same purpose until after the lapse of at least six months from the date thereof.
11. The Secretary shall forward to all members a cop0y of the draft minutes of each Annual and Extraordinary General Meeting within 30 days of its conclusion.
Article VIII - Executive Committee
1. An Executive Committee consisting of the following shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.:-
An Assistant Secretary
A 4 Ordinary committee members
All members of Executive Committee of WWP and every officer performing executive functions in WWP shall be Malaysian Citizens.
2. Names for the above officers shall be proposed and seconded and election will be by a simple majority vote of the members at the Annual General Meeting. All the officer bearers shall be eligible for re-election each year.
3. The function of the Executive Committee is to organise and supervise the day-to-day activities of WWP and to make decisions on matters affecting its running within the general policy laid down by the General Meeting. The Executive Committee may not act contrary to the expressed wishes of the general meeting without prior reference to it behalf of the Executive Committee, furnish a report to each general meeting on its activities during the previous year.
4. The Executive Committee shall meet at least twice a year and 7 days notice of each meeting shall be given to the members. President acting alone may call for a meeting of the Executive Committee to be held at any time. At least one half of the Executive Committee members must be present for its proceeding to be valid and to constitute a quorum.
5. Where any urgent matter requiring the approval of the Executive Committee arises and it is not possible to convene a meeting, the Secretary may obtain such approval by means of a circular letter. The following conditions must be fulfilled before a decision of the Executive Committee is deemed to have been obtained.
(a) The issue must be clearly set out in the circular and forwarded to all members of the Executive Committee.
(b) One half of the members of the Executive Committee must indicate whether they are in favour or against the proposal; and
(c) The decision must be by majority vote
Any decision obtained by circular letter shall be reported by the Secretary to the next Executive Committee meeting and recorded in the minutes thereof
6. In the event of the death or resignation of a member of the Executive Committee the Executive Committee shall have the power to co-opt any other member of WWP to fill the vacancy until the next annual general meeting.
7. Any member of the Executive Committee who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Executive Committee without satisfactory explanation shall be deemed to have resigned from the Executive Committee.
8. The Committee shall give instructions to the Secretary and other officer for the conduct of the affairs of WWP. It may appoint such organiser and such staff as it deems necessary. It may suspend of suspend or dismiss any organiser or member of the staff for neglect of duty, dishonesty, incompetence, refusal to carry out the decisions of the committee or for any other reason which it deems good and sufficient in the interest of the WWP.
Article IX - Duties of office-bearers
1. The President
The President shall:-
(a) be the recognised head and the official spokesman of WWP in its communications between WWP on the one hand and any external body on the other;
(b) preside at all General Meetings of WWP and meetings of the Executive Committee and shall be responsible for the proper conduct of all such meetings. He/She shall have casting vote and shall sign the minutes of each meeting at the time they are approved;
(c) have the right to call meeting of the Executive Committee;
(d) together with the Secretary or Treasurer sign all cheques or withdrawal notices on the funds of WWP on behalf of WWP (the signatures of any two of the above three office bearers, viz. The President, the Secretary and the Treasurer, are needed for any WWP cheque to be valid);
(e) together with the Secretary and the Treasurer countersign all bill presented to WWP
(f) have the sole authority to nominate other, apart from himself/herself to make statements to the Press on matters pertaining to WWP.
(g) in the event of the death or resignation of the President, the Executive Committee shall elect an Executive Committee member to fill the vacancy until the next Annual General Meeting.
2. The Secretary
The Secretary shall;
(a) conduct the business of WWP in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution and the policies as laid down at its General Meetings and shall carry out the instruction of the Executive Committee;
(b) have charge of all records, documents and papers of WWP and shall conduct the correspondence of WWP
(c) Without prejudice to the powers of the President, the Secretary shall be responsible for convening all meetings of WWP and the Executive Committee;
(d) attend all such meetings and submit at such meetings any matter for discussion received from members , and record the proceedings of such meeting.
(e) in the event of the death or resignation of the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary shall fill the vacancy until the next Annual General Meeting.
(f) Maintain a membership register which contains the names, age, identity card number, occupation and address of each member.
3. The Treasurer
The Treasurer shall:-
(a) be responsible for the finance of WWP, he shall keep accounts of all its financial transactions and shall be responsible for their correctness. He/She shall in conjunction with the President or the Secretary sign all cheques on behalf of WWP.
(b) make payment from funds of WWP where such payments have been properly incurred.
(c) submit all financial records and books for the inspection of the Executive Committee at its meetings and for the inspection of the auditor for the purpose of auditing accounts.
4. The Assistant Secretary
The Assistant Secretary shall :-
(a) assist the President, Secretary or Treasurer in carrying out their duties.
(b) carry out any other duty as may be required by the Executive Committee from time to time.
(c) in the event of the death or resignation of the Assistant Secretary, The Executive Committee shall elect one ordinary Executive Committee member to fill the vacancy until the next annual general meeting.
Article X- Financial Provisions
1. Funds for WWP shall be derived from membership dues, subscription to and the sale of publications, contributions and donations. WWP may obtain, collect and receive money and funds by way of contributions, legacies, grants and receive gifts of property of any description (whether subject to any special trust or not) and collection with the prior approval of the Register of the Societies.
2. Subject to the following provisions in this Rule, the funds of WWP may be expended for any purpose necessary for the carrying out of its objects, including the expenses of its administration, the payment of salaries, allowances and expenses to its office-bearers and paid staff, but they shall on no account be used to pay the fine of any member who may be convicted in court of law.
3. The Treasurer may hold a petty cash advance exceeding RM50 at any one time. All money in excess of this sum shall within seven days of receipt be deposited in a bank approved by the Executive Committee. The bank account shall be in the name of WWP.
4. NO expenditure exceeding RM250 at any one time shall be incurred without the prior sanction of the Executive Committee and no expenditure exceeding. RM500 in any one month shall be incurred without the prior sanction of a General Meeting. Expenditure of less than RM250.00 in any one month shall be sanctioned by the President, the Secretary and the Treasurer
5. Yearly financial statement shall be prepared by the Treasurer and audited by the Auditors and disseminated to the members of WWP, and published as directed by the Executive Committee.
6. The Executive Committee may make such rules and regulations concerning the administration of funds and accounting procedures with the approval of the Annual General Meeting.
7. The financial year of WWP shall begin on the 1st of January and shall end on the 31st of December of each year.
Article XI - Audit
1. Two persons, who shall not be an office-bearer of WWP shall be appointed by the Annual General Meeting as Honorary Auditors. They shall not be reappointed for any two consecutive years.
2. The Auditors shall be required to audit the account of WWP for the year and to prepare a report for the Annual General Meeting. They may also required by the President to audit the accounts of WWP for any period within his/her tenure of office at any date, and to make a report to the Executive Committee.
Article XII Interpretation of Rule
1. Between Annual General Meeting, the Executive Committee shall interpret the Rules of WWP and, when necessary, determine any point on which the Rules are silent.
2. Except where they are contrary to or inconsistent with the policy previously laid down, by the general meeting the decision of the Executive Committee shall be binding on all members of WWP unless and until countermanded by a resolution of general meeting.
Article XIII - Prohibitions
1. (a) the use of prohibited drugs shall not be allowed in the premises of WWP.
(b) Any form of gambling contrary to the Common Gaming Houses Ordinance - shall not be allowed in the premises of WWP.
(c) Neither WWP nor its members shall attempt to restrict or in any other manner interfere with the trade or prices or engage in any Trade Union activities as defined in the Trade Union Act 1959.
(d) WWP shall not hold any lottery, whether confined to its member or not, in the name of WWP or its office-bearers, committee or member.
(e) None of the benefit as defined under Section 2 of the Societies Act 1966 shall provided by the WWP to any of the members.
Article XIIII - Amendment of the Constitution
1. The provisions of this Constitution shall not be altered or amended except by resolution approved by at least two-thirds (2/3) of the members present in a General Meeting. Application for alteration or amendment of the Rules shall be made to the Register of Societies within 28 days from the date of the decision made for the alteration or amendment such alterations or amendment shall take effect from the date of their approval by the Registrar of Societies.
Article XIV - Dissolution
1. WWP may be voluntary dissolved by are solution of not less than two-thirds of the total membership eligible to vote and attend at a general meeting specially hold for the purpose of dissolution.
2. In the event of WWP being dissolved as provided above, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on its behalf shall be fully discharged, and the remaining funds shall be disposed of such manner as may be decided upon by a general meeting.
3. Notice of the dissolution shall be made known to the Registrat of Societies within 14 days of such dissolution
Article XV - Patron
1. The Executive Committee may invite distinguished person to become patron of WWP. The Patron shall bestow patronage for a term of years as shall be decided by the Executive Committee and may be invited to continue for further term(s).